Sunday, 27 March 2011

Inquiry

Through reflection I have begun to ask questions which isolate aspects of my work and have shown me what parts of dance and performance I wish to explore and improve
What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about?
I have always been very passionate about Classical Ballet and, although it sounds like a very ‘schoolgirl’ and narrow-minded approach to appreciating dance, It is the finer detail of pure technique and furthermore using said technique to create artistic expression so beautiful or exciting it makes those watching feel moved or enthralled.
What gets you angry or makes you sad? Who do you admire who shares your
feelings or has found away to work around the sadness or anger?
What angers me so much in this industry is the blatant abundance of ignorance. With Dance now at a fantastic media high I feel it is tainted with ignorance and the impression that what we do is easy or in some cases that your success is proportional to your hardships and sob stories. A fine example of this is the BBC programme ‘So You Think You Can Dance’. Don’t misunderstand me I am actually a big fan of this especially as my friends, Charlie Bruce and Drew Mconie, did very well last year but on watching some of the other competitors who progressed rather far I felt their talent was mediocre but their back stories were extraordinary. This raises two dilemmas; 1: People who watch mediocre, or even terrible dancers in some cases, believe that they are talented and that is what great dance looks like and 2: people are also led to believe that if you have a heart warming back story you can get anywhere in dance. Obviously professionals know that these people are accepted into the show to make entertaining television but members of the public and prospective audience members begin to think that no effort needs to be made to become a dancer and a sob story will suffice. My Dance teacher Terry Wright is someone who I admire who shares this same view; as an ex-dancer and first soloist with English National Ballet and a teacher at Arts Ed Tring for over 20 years she clearly has an expansive knowledge of dance and it’s technique, especially Ballet. While under her instruction she gave me a section to read from-
Beaumont, Cyril, Idzikowski, Stanislas. A Manual of the Theory and Practice of Classical Theatrical Dancing (Methode Cecchetti).Dover Publications, Inc. New York, 1975. (first published in 1922).
Advice to those Contemplating the Study of Dancing.
Pause- and think a score, fifty, a hundred times before you devote yourself to the study of the dance.
Do you realise the difficulty of this art, at once so beautiful and so ungrateful? Do you realise how many obstacles must be surmounted before you can become a dancer, even of average ability? Then think of the labour that must be expended, the injustices, intrigues and jealousies of distinction. If you are still undaunted by these disagreeable facts, you have proved yourself to possess enthusiasm and determination, qualities indispensable to success.
Consider your physical, personal and mental qualifications. If you are too young to do this for yourself, let your parents or guardians give their thought to so vital a matter.
Do not imagine that you can become a dancer in six months. Terpsichore is a jealous goddess, and those who seek fame among her votaries must sacrifice at her altar years of patient study and hours of physical labour. Weigh carefully these words, and if after due consideration you still find yourself consumed with a passion for the dance, the first question that arises is the choice of a master.
I really feel that these words articulate the endeavour of dance and its struggles very eloquently.
What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?
The best part of what I do for me is achieving something that my body shouldn’t be able to do; what I mean is that some amazing dancers that we see today have these amazing bodies that are almost custom built to dance, not that I’m saying they don’t work hard because it is obvious that they do however I am definitely not one of those people! If you’ve seen my legs you’ll agree. What I’m driving at here is being able to achieve something with a perfect body is great but when you achieve something with limitations then that’s something really special. I think a lot of the people I went to college with agree with me as Tring merited itself on being able to make all sorts of dancers whereas places such as the royal ballet looked for a certain aesthetic which stopped many of my colleagues being accepted. I have great respect for all these people as many of them are now either Principals in ballet companies touring the world with contemporary or working the west end in musical theatre they may not have had a perfect body but they worked hard, achieved what they wanted and are now never out of work.
What do you feel you don’t Understand? Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or has found a way of making not understanding beautiful or interesting, or has asked the same questions as you?
Something I have been unable to understand since I began touring ballet is the variety of audience responses; for example the ugly sisters in Cinderella, at some venues the jokes would bring the house down but at others the response was a definite ‘tumbleweed’ moment. Some people who I really admire are the dancers of English National Ballet Company and I remember some of them asking the same question. The conclusion that they came to was very simple ‘we dance exactly what we’ve been instructed to at the best of our ability, everybody is different and not everyone laughs at the same things. Also when the audience is not as experienced at watching ballet they are more reluctant to express their feelings in case of embarrassment...plus we still get paid the same if they like it or not!’

4 comments:

  1. I also often don't understand audience responses. Even within the UK I have toured shows where in certain towns the material really goes down well and in others we were just met with pure silence! Although it's interesting to think about the cultural differences that might cause this, I think all we can do as performers is stick to what we have rehearsed and remember that even if the audience's reaction isn't audible, they may still be enjoying it just as much, in their own quiet way.

    I think it's great that you strive for the purity and perfection of classical ballet - although I love watching contemporary dance too, there is something truly beautiful about the lines and technique of classical ballet. Here I only speak as an audience member (not a dancer!) but this pursuit of perfection and precision is one of the things I find fascinating about classical ballet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great "What angers me so much in this industry is the blatant abundance of ignorance". - that line caught my attention - there is some passion behind your views about dance which belies your professional status. I like the sensation of the body in your words. I would mention again Fraleigh who wrote Dancing Identity - it is on my blog somewhere.

    Comment on others /blogs - including mine! we need to hear more from you - shout if it gets our attention.

    Having you been following Mina's blog - she started September 2010

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie. Thanks for your comment! I'm glad to see it's not just me who feel like this when it comes to audience responses! It is very interesting to see cultural differences having an impact in a wider sense like in Sweden for example; ballet dancers with even meager talent, who attend only a normal state school, they are whisked away to a spereate part of the campus and taught all their lessons seperately like rockstars or something! Culture also makes a difference in the smaller sense of the word such as classes in England. Those with money obviously can visit the theatre often and become comfortable enough to respond in accordance to how they feel but those who don't have that luxury make be lacking in 'theatre experience' and feel out of their comfort zone. Thusly enjoying what they see or hear in their own seperate way, like you so rightly stated, but not screaming at the top of their voice 'BRAVO!' because they do not know that that is acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Paula! I just get so angry when people underestimate what it takes to be an accomplished dancer, i find it insulting in fact; I think that is why I speak about the subject so passionately. Have you read any of 'A Manual of the Theory and Practice of Classical Theatrical Dancing (Methode Cecchetti)'? It has a great section on those who appreciate from an audience point of view and how such difficult exploits (more like the respect this art deserves!) should be appropriately celebrated while spectating.

    ReplyDelete